Voiceovers and why we suck at LinkedIn – The GKN Weekly Update 6/23/15
I love LinkedIn.
But it was not meant for voice talents. Well, not exactly.
It seems like it’s meant for people who are either looking to get a 9-to-5 job, or who already has a 9-to-5 job. I think that is one of the reasons why we, as voice talent, collectively suck at using it.
The other reason is that most voice talents join social media platforms because they think they’re supposed to and slam into it sideways, hoping that some gigs will fall out of it.
Don’t get me wrong. I’ve done my research, pimped out my LinkedIn profile, and have landed some long-term clients as a result, but it’s a tool that way too many voice talents have not used properly.
So just for laughs, here are Top Ten Worst Job Titles I’ve seen on LinkedIn. Mind you that these job titles are among my 2,500+ LinkedIn connections. Some of them belong to voice talents so one of them could be YOU!
10. “mispelled” – Many of you mispelled your job title, whatever it was. Not the best first impression, aye?
9. Owner (as a voice talent) – Do you want to get cast as an owner?
8. Top Dawg – Congratulations, you’re in charge of your company.
7. The Schmuck – Funny, but perhaps a little too self-deprecating.
6. dgh – I got nothing.
5. Voice – Really? Just “voice”?
4. ???????? and honorable mention ??????, ??????????
3. “your name” – Nine of you listed your name as your job title. Unless you’re the Shropshire Slasher, you many want to rethink this.
2. Free Lance Voice Talent – yes, let’s Free Lance. Free Lance! Free Lance! I didn’t even know he was locked up. Or, are you giving away jousting weapons? I’m not sure which, but I don’t think that’s your intent with this job title.
And my personal favorite…
TIP OF THE WEEK
I apologize if I had a little fun at your expense, but some of these are just ridiculous.
Take the time to understand not just how LinkedIn works, but why it works, and what you can do to make it work best for you.
Just use Google or YouTube to find some videos or tutorials to help with the basics. If you won’t do that, then you may want to delete your LinkedIn profile until you’re ready to make it reflect the professional you are.
NEWS AND NOTES!
The cover of the Agent 1.22 comic is ready! Dig it!
The Year’s Top Ten Tales of Science Fiction 7 releases today! I have the privilege of narrating six of the stories.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
From my village to yours; this is Tom Dheere, GKN News…
Tom Dheere is a 19-year veteran of the voice over industry who has narrated thousands of projects for clients in over a dozen countries. He is also a coach at Edge Studio, voiceover business consultant known as the Voice Over Strategist, and is currently writing & producing the comic book “Agent 1.22”.